Our CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE if free, but producing it is not. Please help keep our newsroom on the job by subscribing now.

Police Investigating Threats Made Against Oris And Family

Police Investigating Threats Made Against Oris And Family


The Cheshire Police Department has confirmed that an active investigation into threats made towards Town Council Chair Rob Oris and his family remains ongoing. 

“We are investigating an incident where a family member of Mr. Oris has been receiving unwanted messages through a social media platform,” said Officer Mike Durkee. “The investigation is ongoing at this time.”

According to Oris, the threats began around same time as the controversy over Cheshire High School head football coach Don Drust’s employment.

Rumors began to swirl at the end of June that Drust, who has been the Rams head coach since 2012, might lose his position because of clerical issues pertaining to coaching certifications. A June 29 meeting between Drust and School District administrators prompted several student athletes and parents to rally in support of Drust at Humiston School, where the meeting was to be held.

It was announced two days later that the issues had been resolved and that Drust would remain the head coach.

However, according to Oris, whose two sons played for Drust, the attacks had already begun against him and his family.

“These are some of the most vile and reprehensible things I have ever received,” Oris added. 

While Oris was not the only Council member to receive complaints over Drust’s potential firing, Oris and his family seem to have been singled out in the threats.

“I had been reading the emails and could come to only one conclusion: That the threats were all pointing at Rob,” said Town Councilor Tim Slocum. “I usually take these types of emails with a grain of salt, but these seemed to be specifically aimed this time.”

Earlier in the year, Vice Chair Paul Bowman resigned from his position claiming that he and his family were also subjected to harrassment. The move shocked many on the Council and in the public at large, and now the recent attacks against Oris have left some Councilors questioning if they will be targeted next.

“I’m the new guy on the Council and. honestly. I didn’t expect this at all,” said Councilor Don Walsh. “Rob and his family give back so much to the community, Paul did too. Who is going to be next? I hope that we can crack down on this before someone else becomes a target.”


Our CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE if free, but producing it is not. Please help keep our newsroom on the job by subscribing now.


 

The Herald Buzz

Follow the Cheshire Herald on Facebook & Twitter