Skip to main content

e-Edition FAQs

Do you have e-Edition Questions? Click Here to find your answers.

Student Says Volleyball Team Was "Shocked And Scared" After Explosion At High School

November 20, 2011 by John Rook

Members of the Cheshire High School Girls Volleyball Team saw and object thrown into their gym on Friday and heard a loud "bang," according to one of the team's captain.
Senior Gina Buzzelli, a co-captain of the volleyball team, stated on Saturday that the team was getting ready to vote on captains for next year when they saw what turned out to be a plastic bottle filled with chemicals flung through an exit door to the school's gym. The bottle explode, making a loud sound, and was immediately investigated by two coaches.
"There was a really bad smell in the gym, so they moved us to the lobby outside of the auditorium," Buzzelli stated. "We were kind of shocked and scared because we didn't really know what happened. We didn't get a straight story right away."
The Herald has confirmed that Head Coach Sue Bavone and Assistant Coach Brian Choplik were the ones who initially investigated the bottle and were then taken to the hospital when they complained of sore throats and headaches, Buzzelli stated that both coaches "inhaled a lot" of the chemicals.
No other injuries were reported.
Police are still investigating the incident.
For the full story, see this week's Cheshire Herald.

(Note: Greg Lederer contributed to this story.)

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes
User login