- FUN FEATURES
Do you have e-Edition Questions? Click Here to find your answers.
On Thursday, revelers will take to the streets across the region to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It has become a favorite holiday among adults, who use the occasion as an excuse to wear green shirts, Irish garb, funny hats, and, yes, partake in a few alcoholic beverages.
However, while the day might be most closely associated with green beer and corned beef and cabbage, it can also be a fun time for those not yet old enough to enjoy the party.
Here is an article, special to The Herald, that provides you with a few tips as to how to make Thursday a fun time for not just yourself, but your children as well:
"Everyone is a little Irish come St. Patrick's Day, and children are no exception. There are many things little ones can do to have a good time on St. Patrick's Day.
* Dress in green: Encourage kids to dress and accessorize in all shades of green. For even more flair, they can use face paint to draw shamrocks on their cheeks and hands.
* Crafts: From paper four-leaf clovers to homemade leprechaun hats and belt buckles, children can get in the spirit by fashioning crafts that correspond with the theme of the day.
* Treasure hunt: Send little leprechauns in search of gold at the end of the rainbow. Like an Easter egg hunt, hide gold-wrapped chocolate coins around the house and set kids off to find the treasure.
* Blarney Stone toss: Play a game of "hot potato" to Irish music using a garden rock to serve as the "Blarney Stone." When the music stops, the person holding the stone is disqualified.
* Coin toss: Set up a pot or hat and see how many coins each child can toss into the hat. The one who gets the most in the hat wins.
* Freeze dance: Play Irish music and children have to "freeze" when the music is shut off. If someone moves, he or she has to sit out.
* Baking specialties: Invite the kids to help bake some delicious treats, such as cupcakes with green frosting or Irish soda bread.
Children celebrating St. Patrick's Day can do so in a number of fun ways.